A time-line of the main events of Glenlee's history are shown below.  More detail can be found in the illustrated book 'Glenlee' available in the Gift Shop. 

Year

Event

1896

3rd December 1896 - Glenlee launched from Anderson Rodger's Bay Yard in Port Glasgow. 

1898

March 1898 ship sold to the Islamount Sailing Ship Co. of Dundee, owned by Robert Ferguson, and renamed  Islamount

1905

Vessel sold to the Flint Castle Ship Co. Ltd. of Liverpool, owned by Robert Thomas, a Welsh Shipowner.

1919

20 October Islamount ends longest continuous voyage. Vessel had spent some 4,942 days at sea over 23 years. Sold to the Societa Di Navigazone Italiana Stella Di Italiana of Genoa, Italy and renamed Clarastella.  Two 220 NHP Ansaldo diesel engines fitted.

1922

January: bought by the Royal Spanish Navy as a sail training vessel, renamed Galatea and substantially refitted for crew of over 300 men. 

1959

Galatea makes last trans-Atlantic voyage and retired from sea-going. Continues as a shore-based training ship. Has sailed 181,000 nautical miles and spent 2,080 days at sea under the Spanish flag.

1981

Galatea dry docked and prepared for tow to Guadalquivir River, Seville, for Expo '92. Project fails.

1992

30 June Galatea purchased by the Clyde Maritime Trust 

1993

Galatea returns to the River Clyde 9 June 1993.   On 6 July 1993 name Glenlee is restored, registered in Glasgow.

1999

July: Glenlee star attraction at Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race at Greenock.  13 August  opens to the public at Yorkhill Quay, Glasgow as a historic museum ship.

2011

Ship has substantial refurbishment and is relocated to a fresh berth beside the new Riverside Museum at Pointhouse Quay, Glasgow. 

 

Above: A look around from the the Poop Deck (360)